Saturday, October 4, 2008

VOTE for Prop 102!

I have to admit that I can't take credit for this post since I stole it from my friend Kandis' blog. (Thanks for posting, Kandis!) I am a part of the Family Research Council and I believe they are doing some great things in fighting for the family so this caught my attention.

Take time to watch this short video clip done by the President of FRC, Tony Perkins. He talks about how we all need to fight for the marriage amendments that will be voted on here in AZ (prop 102), CA (prop 8), and FL and then we need to pray hard that they pass! We may think that our little vote doesn't make a difference, but it does!

I personally believe that marriage between a man and woman is the ONLY way God intended it to be and though I don't judge others for feeling otherwise, I feel that this traditional family structure is the core of our society. To quote FRC's website, "A large and still growing body of research shows that children do best when raised by their own biological mother and father who are committed to one another in a lifelong marriage, and that adults also thrive when in such a marriage....If marriage loses, religious liberty is next."


19 comments:

Terha said...

Wow! That video is astonishing! I hope it passes! How do you become part of the FRC?

Unknown said...

Whoa!
I don't live in Arizona, but what
an astonishing issue! I can't believe they have actually written children's books on homosexuality! The devil really is at work. I hope this bill for traditional and correct marriage is passed. Thanks for posting this, and for your friend who also posted it.

Melinda said...

I have already decided to fast on election day this year. So many things are on the line this year that I don't feel safe to do anything less than fast and pray for at least a good portion of that day!

There was this book I had to read last year for being a new teacher called "The New Teacher Book" and it was promoting this non-biased way of teaching, and making sure to include all cultures, etc. It was VERY liberal in pushing the idea that you need to teach ALL sides. One teacher decided to show a video called something like "That's a Family" which included all sorts of different families, two parent families, single parent families, blended families and also included homosexual couple families. She got the video content cleared with the principal, but at the advice of a parent she had questioned, did NOT send home permission slips for the children to watch it (elementary age). Now I don't know about you, but I don't care if they teach neutral material about how some children end up being raised by homosexuals, but I want to KNOW first. I want the chance to explain to my child what they will see and why we as a family do not condone that type of "family" BEFORE he or she is exposed to it!

Alice said...

I agree that God meant marriage to be between a man and a woman, and that children do best when raised in a loving, safe home with a father and a mother.

That said, I have some concerns.

First, it bothers me when any group, uses both religion and fear to convince people to join. Jesus told us to have faith, not fear, but the last line you quoted, "If marriage loses, religious liberty is next". Why? (and I'm not directing this at you Criscell) Won't our freedom of religion protect our rights to worship how, when, and where we may? I don't like fear tactics, I think our government (and I'm not specifying one party over another- they all do it) uses fear as a way to control "the masses".

Second, I'm bothered by how much time and effort and money has been put into fighting prop 8 (in california) and I imagine prop 102. We have many many families who don't have health care, who are in abusive situations, and all sorts of other situations which are not conducive to a good family life where children have both a mother and father who love them, but we ignore them. Why? Because homosexuality is a much better attention grabber. I'm not saying that we shouldn't stand up for what we believe in, but I think we shouldn't forget that statistically, children of same sex couples are far better adjusted than children single parents, drug addicted parents, and welfare parents.

Lastly (sorry this is so long- this is an issue I've thought about quite a bit)... Where did homosexuality come from? Is it a challenge that god gave to people as part of our mortal test? God will not test us more than we are capable, but this one seems to be more than many people are capable of dealing with. There are a few people who struggle with same gender attraction but live a celibate life in order to maintain good standing in the church, even fewer have been able to marry someone of the opposite sex, but none of them, that I've come across have been able to totally overcome their feelings. I think that because of the "ick" factor we're quick to jump in and condemn people, even when we don't really mean to judge them. I trust that God will work it out, but right now, there are a lot of people who feel betrayed by a God who would make them the way they are and then teach that it is an abomination. There are no easy answers here.

I don't mean to say that you should vote against prop 102, (I'm not saying that at all). Life is just not as black and white as we would like it to be.

Alice said...

Just to add, we need to be teaching what we believe to our children now. We shouldn't wait for a note to come home from school telling us that the kids will be exposed to ideas we don't agree with.

Our kids need to know how we believe before they walk out the door.

If our children are taught the gospel early, and taught that other people believe different things, but we believe *this* and here is why.... they'll be okay when someone tells them about a family with two moms. There are all different types of people in the world.

Brenbren said...

It is surely good to look at both sides of the question. I have struggled with a political stand point of discrimination. The real issue is this, If it passes, our religious freedoms WILL be at stake. Freedom to believe, worship, and contduct our church as we please will become in question. Churches will get sued because they don't want to marry same gender couples. It will be illegal for a Bishop or our church to say, "no I won't marry you because I don't believe it that."
They are a minority and if they get this one freedom, it will take away freedoms from the majority. They have civil unions. It's not that we want them to not have rights, but that we value our rights as a majority more.

Criscell said...

Good point, Allie. We DO need to make sure and teach our children what we believe in LONG before they are bringing things home from school, but honestly, it really concerns me that they are reading these kinds of books to kindergartners!! They are so young!

Alice said...

I don't think our religious freedom is at stake. I think that some people would like you to think it is. If this FRC group can't support it's argument without resorting to fear mongering, then they need to do a little more research on the harm of same sex marriages and the benefits of defining marriage as between a man and a woman to prove their point.

I don't mean to argue here, really. I just am so tired of our government or groups like the FRC using fear to get people to agree with them.

The first amendment protects our right to worship how we want. If we deny same sex couples temple marriages, I suppose they could sue, but they wouldn't win, any more than heterosexual couples who are not worthy for whatever reason wouldn't win if they were to sue for temple entrance now.

Criscell- there have been a few things that have come up so far in J's schooling that have made me consider homeschooling. Nothing major, but I think if I had major concerns over what he was learning, I'd consider it more seriously. However, I think that it is good for kids to be exposed to some worldly things as long as I am able to teach them how to deal with those things. Better that than sheltering them and not teaching them, and then having them hit with a bunch of surprises that they are not prepared for later in life.

Sorry for such long posts on your blog- and really, I'm not saying that people should not vote for prop 102, just don't do it because someone has scared you into it.

Kandis said...

All I want to say is that we are coming into a period of time where we can't just sit back and let the world fall into the hands of the Adversary. We are going to have to start verbally standing up for more things than we've had to in the past. As for the Proposition 8 in California, I've heard many stories about this very thing. My in-laws have been asked to walk door-to-door in Burbank, (which if you know the area - movie/tv studio capital of the Nation) is no easy task to do. But maybe that's part of the trial of our faith, do we truly believe what we have been taught and are we willing to fight for those things. I personally am which is why my posting on this subject opened into a huge debate. So thanks for allowing me to voice my opinion!

Criscell said...

I see what you're saying, Allie, but I really do believe that our religious liberty is at stake here. Maybe not individually, but as an LDS church (and many other religions too) we will be condemned if this passes because like Brenbren said, if a bishop refuses to marry a couple because they are homosexual for instance, then they can sue the bishop for doing something "illegal"! That IS taking away our religious liberty! And I don't think that FRC is trying to use fear to convince people to join them. They were merely stating this fact. I agree with you that fear is not a good reason to convince people to join a cause. I'm sorry if that was the impression you got from my post.

I can also see your point that children going to a home with a married male and female that are abusive, drug addicts, etc. are much worse off than those going to a homosexual couple that love them and cherish them. This is true.

And about the Lord giving some people this trial, yes, I'm sure it does feel overwhelming and one could easily feel abandoned by the Lord. There are no easy answers to that one, except that the Lord will never leave us alone and if we are sincerely doing our best to overcome a temptation, we CAN do it with His help! It may take us all of mortality to overcome, but that's why we're here--to improve and grow.

I can see what you mean about homeschooling and I may end up considering it too someday. I don't believe it's good to shelter kids from everything in the world, like you said, but it IS good to have some control over what they learn--at least until they are able to go out into the world and make decisions on their own. Thanks for all your comments!

Anonymous said...

Allie,

I think you are wrong for thinking that our religous freedom is not at stake. There are attacks left on right on religion. This past week I have watched late night shows (which I haven't done for a long time, and I won't do for a very long time either). And comment after comment made fun of people who "believe" and those who do "funny stuff on Sunday." It is very much being attacked and if we can't see it coming, then we are just like two talks we heard in conference about Lehonti. We are being poisoned in degrees and we don't even see it coming! Can you imagine a homosexual agenda 10-20-30 years ago? That is insane, and now it is apart of our news, jokes, television shows. It is literally everywhere and now it is getting into our public schools. I don't need the FRC to scare me - because I am already freaked out.

ANYWAY, they are not trying to use the scare tactic at all. I think they are presenting, the facts about what is going on. I didn't think they were using the scare tactic and if you got that maybe you got scared. And anyway, there is great reason to be scared, whether or not they presented it that way.

When it comes to limiting rights and whether or not we are "punishing" them for the way they believe, it all comes down to this very one fact for me and it is so Baptist, but it works and is simple. What would Jesus do? Would Jesus want homosexual marriage? Would Jesus want the bill to pass? How would Jesus run his gov't? I try to do what Jesus would do - so that is why I believe what I want.

Caleb

Alice said...

I don't expect anyone to agree with me, and I'm not trying to be contentious, but I do think that it is a scare tactic to say that our religious liberties are at stake. How? Specifically, caleb?

Again, I would remind you of our first amendment rights.

No one would win a law suit with a Bishop for refusing to marry them.

Again, there are some very compelling reasons for voting for prop 8 or prop 102, but fear (and it is a fear tactic- we just had a discussion with J about fear tactics) is not one of them.

I don't want to argue on Criscell's blog, so feel free to email me if you'd like to discuss it further. :)

I hope everyone is doing well there in Arizona! It snowed on the mountain tops yesterday. Summer is certainly over here.

Shawna said...

that movie made me want to puke!! I would die if my child came home and told me they learned those things!! I would seriously take my child out of school! I guess we just have to start young teaching our children true doctrine!!

Shawna said...

We came back to join in- We have to remember that this is a MORAL issue and not a Civil Rights issue.

Here are just a few thoughts from the Brethern on this topic, to read more the address is on the bottom.

From the First Presidency-
“We of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints reach out with understanding and respect for individuals who are attracted to those of the same gender. We realize there may be great loneliness in their lives, but there must also be recognition of what is right before the Lord.”

On the issue of whether or not this is controllable....
ELDER OAKS: "Yes, homosexual feelings are controllable. Perhaps there is an inclination or susceptibility to such feelings that is a reality for some and not a reality for others. But out of such susceptibilities come feelings, and feelings are controllable. If we cater to the feelings, they increase the power of the temptation. If we yield to the temptation, we have committed sinful behavior. That pattern is the same for a person that covets someone else’s property and has a strong temptation to steal. It’s the same for a person that develops a taste for alcohol. It’s the same for a person that is born with a ‘short fuse,’ as we would say of a susceptibility to anger. If they let that susceptibility remain uncontrolled, it becomes a feeling of anger, and a feeling of anger can yield to behavior that is sinful and illegal."

me: I testify that the power of the atonement is real and that all things can be overcome by this, His grace...enabling us to do things that we could not do on our own.

On this issue of the effects on our society...
ELDER WICKMAN: "We’re not trying to regulate people, but this notion that ‘what happens in your house doesn’t affect what happens in my house’ on the subject of the institution of marriage may be the ultimate sophistry of those advocating same-gender marriage.

Some people promote the idea that there can be two marriages, co-existing side by side, one heterosexual and one homosexual, without any adverse consequences. The hard reality is that, as an institution, marriage like all other institutions can only have one definition without changing the very character of the institution."

Furthermore, because this is a moral issue the First Presidency has asked members in these states to give of their time and means to support the sacred institution of marriage.

Go here to read more about this issue and what the Brethren have to say about it.....(the quotes are from this)
http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/public-issues/same-gender-attraction

Anneka @ Anniesays-Anniedoes said...

This is Anneka (Shawna's little sister). She insisted that I come to visit your blog to view this movie. I am so glad that I did because as a mom of 2 I want to be informed and be able to vote to prevent things like this from happening. First I just wanted to tell you that I am very impressed that you put this on your blog and endorsed it. Not only that but you were willing to defend your beliefs in a kind way like taught in conference (also Romans 1:16).
It reminds me of the hymn lyrics "Whose on the Lord side, who?" We all need to ask ourselves this on this issue and many other issues. Thank you again. And I hope I am not intruding on your blog... it is darling by the way!!

adamf said...

Hi, this is Adam (allie's brother):

"A large and still growing body of research shows that children do best when raised by their own biological mother and father..."

Out of pure academic curiosity, do you know if there are there links to these studies on the FRC site?

Anonymous said...

Allie is very misinformed. Does she realize that a photographer in New Mexico has already been sued and fined $10,000 dollars for not being willing to photograph a homosexual "marriage" ceremony? (Don't quote me on that amount, but it was a substantial sum.) And does she realize that a Christian church (I don't recall where) has been sued for not allowing a same-sex ceremony to be held in their building? She is very naive to think that our freedom of religion will "protect" us. It is obvious that our freedom of religion at this very moment is being violated and ignored. That is why the prophets of this modern generation have asked us to stand up and do something to protect our freedom of religion. There are at least 2 other cases where suits have been brought against people who refused to recognize a same-sex "marriage" and they have lost the cases! And Allie is changing the subject when she refers to kids in abusive heterosexual-parent households. Just because some of those situations sadly exist, doesn't mean we should allow more dysfunctional family situations. And she cannot prove that homosexual parent families are better off. God's law says otherwise. Obedience to the laws of God is the only way for societies to live in happiness. Disobedience to the doctrine that God has ordained marriage to be between a man and a woman will only bring about the disintegration of the family. As the Proclamation to the World says: "Children are entitled to birth within the bonds of matrimony, and to be reared by a father and a mother who honor marital vows with complete fidelity...Further, we (the First Presidency and Council of the Twelve Apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) warn that the disintegration of the family will bring upon individuals, communities, and nations, the calamities foretold by ancient and modern prophets." We must do all in our power to "...promote those measures designed to maintain and strengthen the family as the fundamental unit of society." All in our power includes informing (which is NOT the same thing as using scare tactics) others of the things that are happening in our schools and government. It is incumbent upon us as responsible citizens.

Alice said...

I said I was done, because I really don't want to argue on Criscell's blog. But I can't sit and say nothing when false information or semi truths are passed off as fact.

Interested, if you are going to say that you have all the answers, you need to give some documentation.

Yes, a photographer was sued, no the case was not won "with lots of money involved". It is ongoing, and is not likely to be won, because a similar previous court case (1995 Supreme Court case "Hurley") was struck down.

The church who was sued for not allowing the same sex marriage is another good example of misinformation. What actually happened, is a church back east (methodist, I think) had a area of land that they had an arangement with the local government for the land to be used as public land so they wouldn't have to pay taxes on it. As PUBLIC land, they weren't allowed to restrict use, so when they did, they lost their tax exempt status for THAT piece of property.

Other law suits against religious figures have occurred in other countries that do not have our first amendment rights. They have not happened in the US.

Again, as a reminder, I am not telling anyone to vote against prop 102 or prop 8. I'm saying, vote for it because you feel it's the right thing to do, not because someone has scared you into thinking your religious liberties are at stake.

(A scare tactic is when someone tries to convince you that they are right by feeding you false or misleading information.)

Anonymous said...

For Allie: Are you aware that the LDS Church has a video on its official site that is similar to the FRC video discussed above? I wonder if you think the LDS church is using fear tactics. In part, Elder L. Whitney Clayton states that the CA Supreme Court's decision, if not countered by Prop 8 "...will inevitably lead to conflicts with religious liberty, freedom of association and free speech rights. The freedom of families to raise children in an atmosphere that values and supports the unique importance of marriage between a man and a woman will be lost. Society will become more and more hostile to traditional beliefs about marriage and family. People and private institutions with beliefs that oppose same-sex marriage will increasingly be labeled as intolerant and subjected to legal penalties or social ostracism. And this will not be limited to CA, as its powerful influence is felt across the country." I submit this post as a witness that our religious liberties are indeed in danger. Feel free to watch the video and read the statement, "The Divine Institution of Marriage" including "Challenges to Marriage and Family" at http://newsroom.lds.org/ldsnewsroom/eng/