Monday, November 23, 2009

Freaky Story

Last night about 1:45 in the morning Caysja comes in our room and wakes me up saying, "Mommy, there's a grasshopper (that's what she calls a cricket) in the bathroom". I'm half asleep and kind of annoyed that she woke me up, but I get up with her and head off to the bathroom and what do I find...not a grasshopper at all but a SCORPION!! And it was the little kind too--the extra poisonous ones!!!! Aaaaagh! It was all I could to keep from screaming! All this time we've lived in AZ (over 2 years now) and I've always considered myself soooo lucky because I had never seen one, not once, not in my apartment, not outside, never ever. Well, that came to an end last night. I went and woke Caleb up (he thought I was making it up) until he saw it and then he was a little nervous too, considering that he's never killed one before. He swatted it with our fly swatter and flushed it down the toilet and we all went back to bed. Well, there was no way I was going back to sleep after that--in fact, I think it took me about 2 hours and by that time it was time to get up and go running! Needless to say, I'm really tired today. Every little movement I felt I thought, "was that a scorpion crawling on ME?" I kept re-playing in my mind last night all the things I've ever heard about scorpions...like if you see one, you probably have more somewhere, or they are impossible to get rid of....etc. Can someone help me out here? What is fact and what is fiction? My family is coming for Thanksgiving this week and some of them will be sleeping on the FLOOR!! Scary! Besides that I have an 11 month old that crawls all over the floor every day (putting everything in his mouth along the way) and none of us wear shoes inside! Anyway, I am sooo thankful that Caysja is okay and that she came and got me instead of going potty and getting stung!

15 comments:

Niki said...

We had one in our house but we only ever had one. You can't spray for them or anything. Most likely you won't have any more if you have only seen one. What I did was just cleaned really well and it made me feel better. Just keep your eyes out for them but you probably won't have a problem.

Sean, Siri, Addie and Connor said...

AHHHHHHH!!!! I hate scorpions. So sorry. I have only seen one in my old apartment. Knock on wood! I started vacuuming my house right before I put my kids down. I checked beds and everything. I even bought a black light and would go through my dark house with only the black light on. They glow in black lights. Good luck and I hope you never see one again!

Cecily said...

That is scary! I'm glad that Caysja came and got you too. I hope you don't see one again.

Melissa said...

EWWWW! That's really creepy! Ahhhh! I'm so glad she turned on the light. Had it been me, I may have not turned on the light. I know exactly how it feels, I went through the same ordeal with hobo spiders this summer, except Xander actually got bit. Oh, so nerve racking!

Unknown said...

Oh wow. I have never seen a scorpion except for in a zoo. That and the extreme heat are what keeps me away from moving somewhere like AZ. I'm so glad Caysja didn't try to pick it up!!!!

Amber said...

Oh my gosh!!! I can't believe that. I was like talking to myself as I read your post. I was like "Are you kidding me?" ha ha. That is just insane. I think if everyone just keeps themselves covered up while sleeping on the floor and check all the rooms it should be fine. Maybe they're like some animals where if you don't move they will just go away ha ha. Anyway, good luck and have a great Thanksgiving!! By the way I love your background. Great minds think alike!!!

Holly and Daric said...

We had one in our apartment last year, hurry and let san lagos know I think the bug guy comes on tuesdays. They sprayed our apartment and I havn't seen a bug since.

Frei Family said...

Ewww!! We only saw one in our old apartment-- but i took off my bed skirt and i i dont leave shoes or my purse on the floor harldy ever. I pick up all the sofa pillows at night so they are on the sofa not the floor... and if i have to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night i take as few steps as possible til i turn on the light!! They are so gross!!! I cant believe CAleb used a fly swater-- i wouldnt think that would kill it--- i heard aresol hairpsray freezes them???

Kate said...

I am so sorry Criscell! That is disgusting! I am so glad that you are all safe. Apparently scorpions are easy to kill, from what my sister's in-laws in AZ say. You can step on them, and they crush easily. But that is gross. I hope you don't see anymore.

Travis and Britni said...

That is so freaky. I'm so glad Caysja came and got you. I don't know what is fact or fiction, but I hope you don't have anymore. It was fun with you guys at the park today. Thanks for inviting us.

Evan and Amber said...

I've heard they glow in black lights, so you can buy one and check out the area.

Carlie and Ryan Skinner said...

scary!!! I am glad no one got stung!

A Simple Girl said...

That is awful! I wouldn't have been able to go back to sleep either!! You go running early every morning?? Good for you! I can only hope that I have the determination to do that in the near future :)

Unknown said...

Oh I'm so sorry! It would have freaked me out too! Down here the problem is mostly centipedes. (Apparently really poisonous too.) The first time I saw one we weren't able to kill it because it ran under our bathroom cabinets where there is a little divot in the tile grout. It happened around 9 pm, I don't think that I slept much that night. The very next day the first thing that I did when I got up was call a pest control company, we've had them come monthly ever since, and all I've ever seen of a centipede is a dead one. Remember that time that we were trying to kill that hobo spider in our apartment and you kept running out the door? I think that we had to call our home teachers...

Alice said...

Yikes. Good thing you don't have too much more time in AZ!

We only ever have spiders in our house.